Monday, March 23, 2009

Herbert Spencer

'Consider Her Ways and Others' (1961) by John Wyndham; 1965 Penguin Books edition. Cover design by Herbert Spencer.

'Who?' (1958) by Algis Budrys; 1964 Penguin edition.

As far as a description of Spencer, his obituary written by Rick Poynor is fantastic:

This guy's got a lot of fantastic graphic design work, a lot of which looks like it was made recently, which says a lot about his influence today. These covers though, strike me because they are exceedingly simple, peculiar, and macabre, particularly the one of the left. The one on the right these days looks like a dime a dozen, but it is executed well. I wish I knew for sure what the novels were about, but I get a sense that these images were meant to evoke a sense of mystery and curiosity that would draw one to these books. I know if I saw them in a store I would pick them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment